It’s time to vote! We are just two and a half weeks away from the 2016 Presidential Election. Campaign Rallies have been had. Debates have been televised. And it is now up to the American people to make one of the most important decisions we have to make collectively, who will be the next leader of the free world. But as Christians, we can’t just make that decision based on how we feel or how much we dislike the other candidate. According to John 17:14, We are not of this world, however we do dwell here for now, and one of our missions as Christians on this earth, is to make certain we represent Christ in all that we do. Here are four things to consider as we prepare to cast our votes on November 8th.
- Beware of biased media sources.
- Make certain that you are getting your information from news sources that aren’t going to conform their stories to one candidate. Know who you are getting your information from and who they are funded by. A lot of the news we see, hear and read is determined by who funds the source. There are some independently funded media sources out there to include NPR and The Real News Network. I would encourage you to research others for none biased information.
- Fact Check
- As we are preparing for the 8th of November, please make certain that the information you are sharing is true. There are a number of premade social media post that are being shared as factual, when in reality the information presented is false. The last thing we need in this election is more confusion, especially if it could have been avoided.
- Think Independently.
- Don’t feel pressured to vote for a candidate just because they are representing your party. In Romans 12:2, the Bible encourages us not to be conformed to this world. It is important to know what God’s will for our country is, not your political party’s.
- Seek The Lord for wisdom.
- James 1:5 says, If any of you lacks wisdom [to guide him through a decision or circumstance], he is to ask of [our benevolent] God, who gives to everyone generously and without rebuke or blame, and it will be given to him. One thing’s for sure, we definitely need guidance during this election. And I am confident that God’s plan will prevail. It always has and it always will!
Be encouraged Breakfast BFFs and may God Bless America!
Those are all amazing points. I cannot tell you the number of conversations I’ve had with people about exactly what you wrote. I’ve written a few pieces myself on the election as I’m now residing in a foreign country. It’s very interesting seeing people post news clips from the US and getting to compare them with the news clips I get in Australia.
Adventures in Aussieland
Oh I bet that is interesting indeed! Thanks for reading!
I love this unbiased, Christian perspective. Great post!
I’m glad you enjoyed it!
These are great considerations and reminders. I surprisingly don’t feel anxious. The common thread in my prayer time has been that the Lords will WILL be done. So we need to exercise our right and be informed and do our part and not worry about the rest.
That’s right, we can’t worry. We can be concerned but we can’t worry!
Scott LaPierre says
I appreciate the balance you struck. Seems like we tend to move to one extreme or the other:
—Our citizenship is in heaven so we have no civic responsibilities.
—This election is going to determine our future.
The latter almost implies God doesn’t sit on His throne.
Just a visual thought: since you said “4 things” you might use a numbered list instead of bullets, and perhaps have a bold subtitle for each.
Thanks so much for the feedback Scott, I really appreciate it!
So true, there is no need to fear, His plan will prevail!
Nena Lega says
Great advice! I find point number 3 especially important because we all have to think about what would be best for the country, not our own affiliations.
Absolutely! Thanks so much for reading Nena!
Right! It’s not just about us.
The How-to Guru says
Truth sister. Thanks for sharing this perspective with us.
The How-to Guru
The How-to Guru recently posted…How To Eat Healthy Foods For A Gorgeous Tan? Huh???
Thanks for reading!
Skye Charlie says
Nice post. I can agree 100% on the party one. Just because someone represents our party doesn’t mean we have to agree with their initiatives. #blm
Thanks for stopping by and reading Skye!